There are some instances when having a tooth extraction is the only option you have, such as an injury, but in most instances, there are multiple different treatment options you can consider.
Below, we’ll outline when you’d likely need a tooth extraction, and when you’d likely have different options to consider.
When a Tooth Extraction Is Necessary
A tooth extraction is the complete removal of the tooth. Here are some cases when you would need a tooth extracted:
- Advanced decay
- Injury or other trauma that damages the tooth completely
- Having overcrowded teeth
- Orthodontic treatment requires tooth removal
- An infected or impacted wisdom tooth, which can cause infection and damage to surrounding teeth if not removed because of their precarious position in your mouth
When a Tooth Extraction May Be Necessary
If you are experiencing extreme swelling or bleeding around your tooth or have an abscess on your gum near your tooth, you should see your dentist right away to determine next steps. Chances are you require a root canal, which will help preserve as much of your natural tooth as possible.
When in doubt, you should always schedule an appointment with your dentist to carefully examine your affected tooth. At Trillium Dental, we offer same day emergency appointments for patients who are experiencing dental emergencies.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
When you get a tooth extracted at Trillium Dental, we will provide you with specific aftercare instructions to help you recover as quickly as possible depending on the circumstances of your treatment. Here are some general rules to keep in mind when you’ve had a tooth extraction:
- Take over the counter or prescribed pain medication as directed
- Apply ice to any swollen areas to help manage pain
- Do not drink with straws until you are fully healed (straws can dislodge blood clots formed at the extraction site and interrupt healing)
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water to prevent infection
- Eat soft foods or drink liquids until the extraction site fully heals
- Do not smoke, as smoking can stall healing
Affordable Dentistry in Portland, Oregon
At Trillium Dental, we offer comprehensive dental care to our patients, from general and preventative, to cosmetic, to restorative dental services. Contact us to schedule an appointment today and check out our financial page to learn more about how we can tailor our treatments to your budget whenever possible.